Scholastica Travel invites all junior and senior high school students to participate in our Tropical Ecology Field Study in Costa Rica from July 17 – July 29, 2014. This academic course is planned and led by Scholastica Field Studies, the newest division of Scholastica Travel.
While exploring the vibrant cloud forest and tropical rainforest ecosystems of Costa Rica, students will learn the methods and techniques used by professional scientists to conduct a research project of their own. Dr. Tiffany Doan-Costa, a biologist who has described and named four species as new to science, will be co-instructing the course. Classroom discussions will be immediately followed by hands-on activities in the rainforest to see textbook content first-hand and to transform theories into practical understanding.
Course Highlights Include:
- Gain first hand experience with the content you learned in textbooks as you explore: camouflage, mimicry, and adaptation; biodiversity; rainforest conservation; sustainable development, and more.
- Work side-by-side with scientists and fellow students on a research project that you design in one of the most biologically diverse environments on the planet.
- Build your field investigation skills using binoculars, field journals, and digital tools as you conduct the scientific method from start to finish.
- Spend a day in the famous Monteverde Cloudforest Reserve as you explore the complexities of environmentalism and the impact of ecotourism on our planet.
- Zip from tree-to-tree on a canopy tour of the rainforest.
- Taste and learn your way through the ancient currency of chocolate and its impact on history during a chocolate tour at Tirimbina Biological Reserve.
- Learn about geochemistry from a professional volcanologist as you hike Poás Volcano National Park.
Enrollment for the 2014 Tropical Ecology Field Study is now open! The course cost is $2950, which includes round-trip airfare from Pittsburgh International Airport. Enrollments are accepted on a rolling basis up to a maximum of 24 participants, so early registration is strongly encouraged. Students can enroll on our website at FS.ScholasticaTravel.com.
Contact Natalie Rice, Scholastica Field Studies Director, at email@example.com or 1-800-245-3511 ext. 108 to learn how YOU can join us in the rainforest and kindle your sense of wonder; invigorate your passion for scientific research; and define what is possible for you today and in the future.