Safety is the most important aspect of any Scholastica trip. Use this safety checklist to assist in your school field trip preparations.
School Field Trip Safety Checklist
- Receive school board approval for trip.
- Provide Scholastica Travel with approved motor coach list (if applicable for your school).
- Include nighttime supervision in your trip package.
- Include tour leader services in your trip package.
- Familiarize yourself with Scholastica Travel’s 24-hour emergency assistance service and corresponding phone number.
- Recruit chaperones with appropriate clearances as deemed by your school district.
- Uphold an appropriate chaperone to student ratio as deemed by your school district.
- Invite the school nurse to attend the school trip to distribute student medications and offer assistance.
- Collect a parent permission form for each student.
- Collect Medical Treatment Consent forms and bring them on the trip.
- Prepare for student food allergies.
- Remind students about dressing for the weather and wearing appropriate footwear.
- Provide a Scholastica Travel lanyard to each student.
- Include student’s name on card.
- Include emergency contact number on card.
- Pack a student care bag for each bus. Note: Scholastica will send a red bag for each bus with your final trip information packet.
- Pack a first aid kit.
- Discuss motorcoach safety with your students.
- Set-up communication among chaperones using Remind.
- Set-up communication to parents in the event of an emergency using Remind.
- Assign chaperone groups and implement student counting procedures during the trip.
- Provide chaperones with a picture directory for each student in their chaperone group. Chaperones are more effective when they know the students for which they are responsible.
- Establish a buddy system or double buddy system.
- Space chaperones at the beginning, middle, and end of lines to prevent line gaps.
Ready to plan your school trip? Click the button below to get started!