These Philadelphia writing prompts will help students think more deeply and creatively about their Philadelphia experience. Encourage your students to journal their expectations before the trip departs, to write down their observations as it happens, and to process all that they experienced after they return home.
Philadelphia Writing Prompts: Before the Trip
- What do you think the city will sound like? Smell like? Feel like? Look Like?
- If you could be on the set of one movie or TV show filmed in Philadelphia, which show would it be and why?
- What are you looking forward to most about your trip to Philadelphia?
- What do you hope to get out of your Philadelphia experience?
Philadelphia Writing Prompts: During the Trip
- What does Philadelphia sound like? Smell like? Look like? Feel like?
- What did you notice first about the city? Why is that?
- How do you feel when you are in the city? Excited? Overwhelmed? Alive? Nervous?
- What adjectives would you use to describe the city?
- What ordinary moments are part of a day for someone living/working in Philadelphia? How are they the same or different from someone living in your hometown?
Philadelphia Writing Prompts: After the Trip
- What memorable experiences did you have in Philadelphia?
- How has your experience in Philadelphia changed your perspective on the world?
- Could you picture yourself living in Philadelphia? Why or why not?
- What career would you pursue if you lived in Philadelphia?
- What advice would you give to someone visiting Philadelphia for the first time?
- If you had a column in the Philadelphia Tribune, what would you write about?